Yes, ‘OH’ indeed if you have ever tantalised your tastebuds with this tropical delight!
One of the Swan Valley’s champion white grapes, Verdelho is a fruit-driven, dry table wine that is refreshing and tropical in style, with a touch of extra complexity from riper fruit flavours.
Verdelho came to Australia in the 1820s all the way from Portugal, where it was most commonly associated with Madeira. We’ve all heard of Madeira Wine right?! Verdelho was used as one of the four varieties to make the iconic wine. Here in Oz, we love its ability to hold acid in warm climates and for its rich and punchy tropical characteristics. This extremely versatile grape can be made in a bone-dry crisp wine all the way to a Moorish liqueur style number. In the Swan Valley, it’s most commonly made dry, to slightly off dry. Beautifully fresh and aromatic with a fuller (more textual) mouth feel and great acidic notes for the perfect balance.
It’s suitability for Mediterranean-style climates with warm to hot, dry summers and rich, fertile soils makes it a flawless fit for Perth’s wine regions. There’s no surprise the Swan Valley has claimed its spot as a leading producer of this unique grape – and we have no complaints!
It’s usually a drink now drop, although the Verdelho our Swan Valley produces can surprisingly age for a remarkable period of time for this modest variety. It’s unpretentious, it’s fun, it’s the type of wine you crack open lunching in the sun… or on the couch, in the pool, on a Tuesday night… you get my drift!!
When it comes to pairing Verdelho with a meal, it tends to complement seafood, spiced or smoked chicken numbers and salads. The tropical fruitiness found in this wine makes for a salivating match with spicy & hot Asian cuisines and curries. Green olives and creamy cheeses also pair well!
Whether the vivacious Verdelho is a varietal you’ve come to love, or never heard of before – either way, we’ve got a stella list of some absolute bangers for you to try in the Swan and Bickley Valley Wine Regions.
- Faber Vineyard – 2020 Verdelho – Their flagship white wine! If you are looking for a great example of warm-climate white wine making, then look no further. Made from cold fermented, clean free run juice. Although it’s released young, Faber’s renowned Winemaker says it will certainly age well – Sorry John I don’t think we can wait! “This might be the country’s most age-worthy Verdelho! A bargain for the price.” – Mike Bennie, The Wine Front.
- Upper Reach– 2020 Verdelho – An aromatic dry style Verdelho with pineapple, passion fruit, pear, guava, grapefruit and a hint of rockmelon. There is a touch of lime to the lively acid which gives a crisp kick to its rich and luscious finish. Derek’s (the winemaker) FAV go-to wine! Pair with spicy Thai, or a delicious cheddar.
- Mandoon Estate – 2020 ‘Block 1895’ Verdelho – Their Verdelho vineyard was planted by the Roe family back in 1895 and remains the oldest Verdelho block in WA! Hand-picked fruit is crushed and only the free run juice extracted. The aromas of tropical fruits invite you into a bright elegant palate which is filled with vibrant pineapple with hints of lemon and lime. Its beautiful texture leads to a crisp acidity on the finish making this a well-balanced wine with great ageing potential. Last year’s vintage saw a record sell out so get in quick!
- Nikola Estate – 2020 Verdelho – Lifted aromas of lemon zest, citrus flower and sherbet linger on the nose whilst underlying tropical notes and fresh nashi pear dance on the tongue. A crisp acidic finish for the win. Crack this bad boy open with oysters and you’ll be in heaven!
- Myattsfield Vineyard – 2017 Verdelho – Estate grown in the Bickley Valley, this wine is clean, crisp, fruit driven and oh-so-delicious! Passionfruit, lychee and guava on the nose with a divine rich tropical fruit richness, softly rounded out on the palate. This combination allows the wine to be matched with slightly heavier dishes than traditional whites. Seafood, chicken as well as heavier style terrines are perfectly paired. Their Verdelho is really a work of art, mastering a faultless balance to ensure there is enough acid to create a dry, crisp finish without compromising those beautifully soft rounded fruit characters. A lovely sunset arvo drop!
- Talijancich – Liqueur Verdelho – Matured in old brandy casks for 5 years, retaining the youthful characteristics of apricot and honey, all flowing onto a luscious palate. The fruit is handpicked at the semi-raisin stage to help give the finished wine a greater texture. All the trademark characteristics of a classic Verdelho displayed in a liqueur! James Talijancich and his father planted Verdelho in 1977/78, not knowing whether it would pay off. 40+ years on, and it has become a variety that the winery could not imagine being without! Deliciously chilled in Summer as your pre-dinner vino, or at room temp as a dessert wine (cheeky tip – pour that goodness over vanilla bean ice-cream!).
These delicious drops offer great value starting from $22, to the liqueur naturally being a little higher at $30 per bottle. If you are on a tour with d’Vine you may even receive a cheeky discount (woo!).
If you’d like to visit any of these wineries mentioned, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’d love to incorporate them into a customised Private Swan Valley Tour, or you can visit a few of them on one of our fabulous Daily Tours!